List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Installation help needed
From:       "tony addyman" <tony.addyman () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-15 20:57:06

I have an eee pc, but I decided to dump Xandros and put a "proper"
Linux distribution on instead. I decided to use Ubuntu, and used
ubuntu-eee, but others have used Mandriva, etc. Now that I run Ubuntu
I can install Quanta out of the normal Ubuntu repository. No
compilation necessary.

My 2 pennyworth.

Tony

2008/9/15 Werner Joss <werner@hoernerfranzracing.de>:
> Am Montag, 15. September 2008 06:11:19 schrieb Patti Bennett:
>> OK, I am very new to Quanta, KDE and linux, so will do my best here.
>> ASUS, eeepc
>> Pre-installed with xandros
>> I enabled Advanced Desktop Mode per http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:getkde
>> I installed XAMPP per http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
>> Thus far everything seems to be working
>> Now I decide I want to see if I can do some website development work.
>> Googled around and thought I would try Quanta Plus
>> Got the download kdewebdev-3.5.9.tar.bz2
>> Got it extracted to kdewebdev-3.5.9.tar
>> Tar -xvf to create kdewebdev-3.5.9 directory - didn't know where to put the
>> download files - I ended up with /usr/kdewebdev-3.5.9
>> Then I tried the "./configure" command per
>> http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdewebdev/quanta/source-code-building-3-2.html,
>> but it failed with:
>>
>> Configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
>
> that is because the xandros stock linux on eeepc comes without any development
> tools, as stated already.
> see http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installingdevelopmenttools on how to get
> these (the wiki only tells how to get the basic tools, for kde development,
> you will also need a bunch of other stuff).
> also note, that kdewebdev 3.5.9 probably won't build despite everything for
> development beeing installed, as xandros' kde is still a 3.4.x version - you
> might have better luck trying an appropriate kdewebdev version.
>
> werner

Eur Ing A.M.Addyman
Computer Science, Multimedia and Telecommunications
School of Computing, Science and Engineering
Newton Building
University of Salford
Salford
M5 4WT