List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Installation help needed
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2008-09-15 16:29:08

Am Montag, 15. September 2008 06:11:19 schrieb Patti Bennett:
> OK, I am very new to Quanta, KDE and linux, so will do my best here.
> ASUS, eeepc
> Pre-installed with xandros
> I enabled Advanced Desktop Mode per http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:getkde
> I installed XAMPP per http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
> Thus far everything seems to be working
> Now I decide I want to see if I can do some website development work.
> Googled around and thought I would try Quanta Plus
> Got the download kdewebdev-3.5.9.tar.bz2
> Got it extracted to kdewebdev-3.5.9.tar
> Tar -xvf to create kdewebdev-3.5.9 directory - didn't know where to put the
> download files - I ended up with /usr/kdewebdev-3.5.9
> Then I tried the "./configure" command per
> http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdewebdev/quanta/source-code-building-3-2.html,
> but it failed with:
>
> Configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

that is because the xandros stock linux on eeepc comes without any development
tools, as stated already.
see http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installingdevelopmenttools on how to get
these (the wiki only tells how to get the basic tools, for kde development,
you will also need a bunch of other stuff).
also note, that kdewebdev 3.5.9 probably won't build despite everything for
development beeing installed, as xandros' kde is still a 3.4.x version - you
might have better luck trying an appropriate kdewebdev version.

werner