List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta suddenly stopped accenting vowels
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-07-28 17:50:07

On Monday 28 July 2008 7:07:37 am Marcelo Todaro wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I don't know if this topic has already been addressed. I have googled a
> lot before deciding to post here, so please be patient with me.
>
> I'm Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) 64 bits and Quanta 3.5.9 user.
>
> My native language uses many vowels with accents (like á, õ, etc.). In
> Font Editor mode Quanta used to accentuate them normally, but this
> morning it started refusing to do so for some odd reason.
>
> For example, to make "á" I type ' then a. But now it is separating the
> characters instead of giving me an accented vowel as it did before.
>
> I haven't changed anything on the settings nor I could be able to find
> any setting related to the problem.
>
> And, as you can see, other applications haven't been affected, so it's
> not a system setting issue.

Really? Bzzzzt! Wrong!

> Would anyone be so kind as to give me a hand on this please?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marcelo

Have you done any system maintanence recently? What have you changed? Here's
the entire problem from my perspective... First off I have been a native
English speaker all my life, so this type of question is not my field of
experience as a user. Andras usually fields these questions but he's busy.
Second, it most likely IS a system setting issue!

The only way you can say this is Quanta and not something else is if you are
comparing KDE applications. Ubuntu runs Gnome and if those applications are
working it only means you don't have broken Gnome configuration files.

Quanta is built on KDE which is the most heavily object oriented reuse desktop
software anywhere. So the following are the relevant places to look.
1) Check to be sure your docs have the correct code page in your HTML header
files.
2) The editor is the Kate part. When it has focus and you are typing it is
processing key strokes.
3) KDE allows you to set internationalization languages in Kcontrol. This
would also affect the language your menus appear in.
4) X has your actual keyboard mappings and configuration.

As a rule configuration settings don't generally just go away. Software isn't
magic. There is a cause...
* system updates
* new software install mucking up settings
* disk error

As two people have posted with this problem I'd certainly like to find an
answer. I'm personally running Gentoo and KDE desktop and I'm not installing
Ubuntu to troubleshoot it. While I'd like to offer a solution here, and
someone may do that, you may want to also check with Ubuntu forums. The
probability this is caused by something other than Quanta is approaching
certainty, so it may be a good idea.

Also can you confirm a difference in behavior with ANY other KDE application?
If you test Kate and it works then the problem would have to be Quanta and
I'd need to know that. Kate should have the same problem in theory. A good
KDE general test application would be Kwrite.

If we can have more diagnostic information we can at least tell you where to
look if it is not Quanta, and if somehow it is Quanta we need to know.
--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module