List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] 1000+ file project load times?
From:       Peter Ford <pete () justcroft ! com>
Date:       2008-05-23 8:08:46

There is an easier way to add one file (or a small number of files) to the
project - open the Files view, navigate to the file in question, right click and
select "Insert in project..."

I generally use that when adding an image to the project, even though my
projects are rarely more than 100 or so files. There are usually so many 'junk'
files (testing fragments, log files, etc.) in the project area on my dev machine
that I end up having to uncheck most of the things that "Rescan Project Folder"
picks up...

Simon Dawson wrote:
> Hi
>
> This may be getting off the original topic but I agree that the Project
> Management cold be revised....although I'm not sure whether Niko's
> 'automatic' idea is the way forward.
>
> Maybe we would be better served having 'Scan Project folder...' in all places
> throughout the project tree and not just at root level.
>
> My work methods mean that I may add one new image file into the directory
> structure somewhere. Getting that file into the Quanta project means the
> whole project needs to be scanned...can't we scan just a selected folder
> instead?
>
> I think either way would be an improvement, although the automatic way may be
> more resource intensive!
>
> Other than that, Quanta is great - thanks Eric for leading and Andras for all
> your hard work.
>
> regards
> Simon
>
> On Friday 23 May 2008 06:46, Niko Sams wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i use large projects too...
>>
>>> are there any users here with projects files in this size who can offer
>>> feedback on your start up times with this size project? Specifically I'm
>>> curious if your are experincing normal load times expected in seconds or
>>> abnormal load times in minutes. Please post your CPU, RAM distribution
>>> and KDE/Quanta version. Thanks!
>> find . | grep -v .svn | wc -l
>> 10488
>>
>> the bigges part is one subfolder with 9301 files - that one I ignored
>> in the project.
>> Sadly I can't use upload profiles for those.
>>
>> With this setup loading the project takes about 5secs.
>>
>> But what takes really a long time is scanning for new files in the
>> project: 2:10 min
>> Luckily this I don't have to do very often.
>>
>> Quanta 3.5.9
>> KDE 3.5.9
>> Gentoo
>> Core2 duo 1,8GHz
>> 3 GB Ram
>> Files mounted via smb (has not that much effect tough - was locally
>> about that fast too)
>>

>> What *I* think that could be improved (for Quanta4) is the way project
>> files are handled:
>> - no adding files to the project
>> - no project file with an entry for every individual project file
>> - user specifys a project directory, an ignore mask and that's it
>> - quanta should automatically detect new files and show them
>>

>> Niko

Peter Ford, Developer                 phone: 01580 893333 fax: 01580 893399
Justcroft International Ltd.                              www.justcroft.com
Justcroft House, High Street, Staplehurst, Kent   TN12 0AH   United Kingdom
Registered in England and Wales: 2297906
Registered office: Stag Gates House, 63/64 The Avenue, Southampton SO17 1XS