List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] 1000+ file project load times?
From:       "Niko Sams" <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-23 5:46:23

Hi,

i use large projects too...

> are there any users here with projects files in this size who can offer
> feedback on your start up times with this size project? Specifically I'm
> curious if your are experincing normal load times expected in seconds or
> abnormal load times in minutes. Please post your CPU, RAM distribution and
> KDE/Quanta version. Thanks!
find . | grep -v .svn | wc -l
10488

the bigges part is one subfolder with 9301 files - that one I ignored
in the project.
Sadly I can't use upload profiles for those.

With this setup loading the project takes about 5secs.

But what takes really a long time is scanning for new files in the
project: 2:10 min
Luckily this I don't have to do very often.

Quanta 3.5.9
KDE 3.5.9
Gentoo
Core2 duo 1,8GHz
3 GB Ram
Files mounted via smb (has not that much effect tough - was locally
about that fast too)

What *I* think that could be improved (for Quanta4) is the way project
files are handled:
- no adding files to the project
- no project file with an entry for every individual project file
- user specifys a project directory, an ignore mask and that's it
- quanta should automatically detect new files and show them

Niko