List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] 1000+ file project load times?
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-05-22 22:13:50

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 21:51:15 Eric Laffoon wrote:
> Hi all,
> are there any users here with projects files in this size who can offer
> feedback on your start up times with this size project? Specifically I'm
> curious if your are experincing normal load times expected in seconds or
> abnormal load times in minutes. Please post your CPU, RAM distribution and
> KDE/Quanta version. Thanks!

I have one project that has 3,603 files (find .|grep -v .svn |wc -l).  With
Quanta opened to a different project, then opening this large project, it
takes 3-5 seconds until I get a usable treeview.

Quanta continues background tasks for about 25 seconds, using about 30% cpu,
with a wa of about 30% as well.  During this time, quanta is usable, but of
course it is a bit slow.

After that, Quanta works fine for a spell.  After a while (1/2 hour, 1 hour
perhaps), it does bog down to near lockup.  Closing and reopening fixes the
issue, so it is probably a memory leak, or perhaps temp files growing
unwieldly?  I don't know.  I haven't, and don't, have time to nail that bug
down enough to make a good report and get it fixed. :-)

The specs for this box:

Linux columbia 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-default #1 Mon Jan 21 13:29:51 UTC 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

AMD Athlon 64 3700+, 2,403.08 MHz
1GiB  RAM

Suse Linux 10.1, KDE 3.5.9, upgraded about twice monthly via smart.

Hope that helps Eric.

Regards,

Mark