List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta]
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-05-22 21:29:18

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 16:59:49 Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Jordi,

 <snip>

> So it ends up looking like this:
> If I have a copy of the project do a:
> svn update
> in the directory the project lives in
> or if I do not have a copy
> svn checkout https://svn.server.name/svn_web/project/
> then make changes
> test them on my local machine
> then
> svn commit from the project directory
> on the testing machine
> svn update
> to update the project or
> svn checkout https://svn.server.name/svn_web/project/
> if the project is new and not on the test server
> check everything works fine,
> then do the same on the production box to checkout/update the project.
>
> If you do not like the command line much kdesvn is a very good tool, and
> integrates well with kompare.
>
> This way if something stuffs up, just roll back to the last working
> version, or revert the change if it is really bad.
>
> I do not understand how developers could work in a team without a source
> code management system.  It is just too easy to break others work if you
> rely on an ftp repository.
>
> Quanta does not intergrate with subversion (that I know of), but does cvs.
> I think Quanta 4 should support subversion due to the kdevplatform
> supporting it and I cannot wait!
>
> If you need more information, just ask

I would just chime in and add that I do use the method Andrew describes,
though I usually use kdesvn.  Even though I am the lone developer, I can't
imagine developing without subversion.  It would be like scuba diving without
and air tank. ;-)

One of the nicest things about subversion, for me, is it makes it really nice
to keep versions of my projects in sync across multiple development machines
(home, school, work, laptop, backup laptop, etc).  This is of course, in
addition to all the other goodness that is subversion.

Regards,

Mark