List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Qt database drivers for Kommander ready for test
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-04-04 2:28:31

If anyone is interested in testing alpha Qt database drivers for Kommander let
me know. I tried to make them drop in and/or operate along side the existing
drivers with some degree of success. I use a text file with configuration
info on my system and then call Kwallet for passwords. So it's not too
difficult to modify my connection and everything works. I can't wait to get
onto the KDE4 version because the new QSql APIs are really much nicer, easier
and more powerful.  It's under half a MB for the package, the size of a large
digital photo.

Known bugs: Doing anything that requires you to be connected will crash it if
you haven't connected.

Incompatibilities with old driver: Connection now requires you to choose a
database when connecting, five parameters are required.

Missing from old driver functionality: List databases and field type.  (If
people provide SQL for different database platforms to handle this I could
maybe add it.)

Fixes bugs compared to old driver:
1) Can do serial logins to one connection after another, and it doesn't crash
when doing this!
2) Can accept and process multiple SQL commands separated by ; no problem

New Features:
1) Can access data by field so that tabs and returns don't whack your widget
display
2) view last error on request
3) view last query assembled on request
4) Navigation functions for result set and "at()" function
5) Transaction, commit and rollback... sure you could call the commands, but
this is nice
6) rows affected function
7) every function gives feedback if it was successful and tests for an active
and valid queriy - extensive error reporting

If you are interested in testing please let me know.
--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module