List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Generating a Table Of Contents...
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-04-03 23:49:24

On Thursday 03 April 2008 4:22:03 pm barcaroller@sympatico.ca wrote:
> I just recently switched over from Mozilla to Quanta Plus and I was
> wondering whether Quanta Plus (on Linux) can generate a Table Of Contents
> (based on headings).

I wonder how many ways that could be done? Top of a long page, tacky and oh so
90s. Left nav panel, better, but also sort of old school. Site map... I think
there are scripts for that.

What Quanta does very well is the foundational things you need... versitile
markup, DTD reading on the fly for auto completion, CSS support, XML, etc...
What it doesn't do is have a lot of flashy add ons that stuff you in it's own
little box. Not that I wouldn't like to have some, and we do have KStuff for
sharing globally. However most people look at grand ideas in software when
they are getting aquainted and afterward try to do everything as much like
they did before as possible... negating most of the benefits of the new
package experience until they crop up again.

Any script that can create a TOC can be run inside the editor as an action.
See the docs and look on the configuration menu for Actions. This is very
powerful and can replace your file, insert into it or create other files.
Look at project actions and you will see that you can do things like calling
Actions on events, like running the script after you save a file, or before
you upload it.

If you have PHP running on your system it's also not difficult to extract
headings with simplexml. Additionally you can easily review document
structure with the structure view and create visual dialogs with point and
click using Kommander.

If I were you I would google for an HTML TOC script, in fact you may well find
the function you used previously was a script, and try it out. Find one you
like and make an Action and put it on the toolbar.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module