List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Digest, Vol 58, Issue 8
From:       "Carl Symons" <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-23 23:30:54

Re: Status of Quanta and KDE 4 (Eric Laffoon)

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:31:44 -0800
> From: Eric Laffoon <sequitur@kde.org>
> Subject: Re: [Quanta] Status of Quanta and KDE 4
> To: Quanta users list <quanta@mail.kde.org>
>
> On Monday 21 January 2008 12:17 pm, Mark Ziegler wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > can you please give a small overview about quanta (kwebdev) and its
> > progress on the way to kde 4?

 These are both large and complex applications, but they
> have several developers and we have Andras and not much else. Of course
> Andras is as good as any 10 developers some days. ;)
> >
> Quanta is now in it's 8th year and has one the last 3 LinuxQuestions.org
> members' choice awards. It will probably win again next month.
> >
> And there you are. As it happens Andras has been burned out on months of less
> than gratifying struggle porting to KDE4

In short, what I was told was next to impossible he did in next
> to no time. I guess 5.5 years full time developing on KDE can make a good
> programmer into one who can part the Red Sea before breakfast without
> breaking a sweat.
>

> We will be doing a fund raiser when we release Kommander shortly. It's
> important to note that Andras' situation is changing. Now Romainia is part of
> the EU. The economy has changed there, and I have been paying in dollars,
> which is losing to Euros at a depressing rate. He also has a child now. He
> needs a raise, and I doubt anyone besides me fully comprehends his value and
> ability. I refered to last week as the code storm. As fast as I could pull
> SVN, build on my dual AMD64 with 2 gigs RAM and test I was seeing another
> commit with new functionality I'd been wanting for years.
>
> I know I recently posted asking for help here and got some, so I'm not going
> to make a big deal of it, but if you want to see something really exciting
> there is nothing like making sure Andras is well taken care of. He really is
> impossible to replace, without having several really skilled guys who work
> well together anyway.
>
> I hope this helps answer your question.
> --
> Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
> http://quanta.kdewebdev.org

Thank you for the update. I'm a neophyte Quanta/Kommander user, but
the quality and value are obvious.

I support your inclination to "making sure Andras is well taken care
of." Is there something in place for the Q+ community to participate?

Carl