List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Status of Quanta and KDE 4
From:       James Ellis <james () webqs ! com>
Date:       2008-01-23 22:14:06

Hi

KDE4.0 has a few bugs that cause some instability now and again (at least for
me) -- although from each update (I'm using Kubuntu PPA Packages) the
stability is getting much much better. If you are ok with Plasma crashing a
couple of times a day then go for it, otherwise wait for 4.1 and use 3.5.x
instead.

I run Quanta fine in KDE4.0, the only difference being that KDE3 apps don't
use the Oxygen icon set and window widgets (except the Kwin title bar), which
is no biggy. Another issue presents itself with Kwalletmanager (3) crashing,
which takes down kded (3) causing dcop to fail, causing Quanta projects to
become unusable until a kded restart. I believe this is known on bugs.kde.org
and is being looked at.

Speaking of Kdevelop, I used it for quite a while when Quanta became so
unstable as to cause 90%+ CPU usage, although recently I've come back to the
latest Quanta which seems to fix some of the stability issues. Plus Kdevelop
was taking about 2-5 minutes to read the same project directory then
crashing -- that Quanta takes 30 seconds doing. I hope that won't be an issue
when Quanta starts to use the Kdevelop platform

So yeah, +1 from me on not rushing into releasing KDE4 port until it is on par
or nearing that of the current 3.5 version.

Thanks
James