List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] sftp vs. ftps
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-12-28 11:38:10

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 11:34 pm, Werner Joss wrote:
> ok, this is not directly related to quanta, but it does also _effect_
> quanta, so here goes:
> I recently noticed that my webhoster offers a more secure way than just
> plain ftp - they call it 'FTP over SSL' and it uses TLS authentication.
> I meanwhile managed to make use of it via kasablanca - works well.
> however, I would like to use something like sftp:// (or any other kde
> kioslave) from konqueror/kate/quanta .. , which I tried, but doesn't work,
> as sftp seems to be something different than ftps (someone on kde-linux
> wrote: sftp is ftp with ssh, ftps is ftp with tls - which I think is
> correct). anyone here knows more on this ?
>
> werner

Hi Werner,
I use fish which is ssl/scp and is usually well supported. I hadn't heard of
ftps yet, but what you need to use it in Quanta is a KIO slave. It looks like
there is one here. http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=35875 As
you noted ftps != sftp so the sftp kio slave isn't much help here. Hopefully
this is what you are looking for.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org