List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] html auto completion in a PHP string
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-12-02 13:31:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 02 December 2006 09:02, James Porter wrote:
> I have noticed that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I
> seems to work all the time with form elements. I do like the newer
> php completeion that actually looks into your instantiated classes.
> Makes it handy for things besides the php functions.

Can you give examples when it works and when it doesn't work. AFAIR it
never should work. ;-) The only case you migh get some kind of
autocompletion there if you have enabled the KTextEditor word
completion plugin, which will use already existent words from the
document as a completion source. So for example:
<?
 echo "<htm <--will probably offer "html".
?>

But this has nothing to do with Quanta's functionality, you might get
the same in KWrite or Kate.

The reasons why it doesn't work are various, including:
- "<" is commonly used in not markup languages (comparision operator),
so always showing a list of choices after it is a bad idea
- PHP might be included in several markups
- you may construct strange things in PHP (echo "<".$something."ml >"')

For sure it is possible to do it, but I didn't really bother with it, as
it's a special case. You can almost always separate PHP and HTML code,
and if you just use one html tag or two in a PHP printout, it doesn't
really make sense to have autocompletion for them, as it anyway
wouldn't speed the work up that much (compared to pure HTML area where
you often write tags).

Andras