List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] quanta and .xsession-errors
From:       Chris van de Wouw <chrisje () home ! nl>
Date:       2006-10-12 16:15:09

On Thursday 12 October 2006 17:40, Chris van de Wouw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently I'm having some unrelated problem, as my .xsession-errors file is
> filled up to the hundreds of MB's.
>
> What _is_ related is that Quanta seems to have the biggest problem with it.
> When looking at the memory consumption with 'top', sorted by memory, Quanta
> quickly comes on top of the list and it's virtual memory increases each 4-5
> seconds, at about the same rate as my .xsession-errors is increasing.
>
> If I leave my computer untouched for a half a day (with quanta launched),
> all memory is full (1Gig) including my swap (512k), rendering everything
> unusable (kwin lost, kicker lost)
>
> This afternoon I had 2 instances open of Quanta, causing the memory overrun
> in a couple of hours.
>
> With 'lsof | grep .xsession-errors' I see multiple applications have a
> handle on this file, but with 'top' I see no other application with
> increasing memory usage, so I wonder if Quanta is keeping a complete copy
> of
> the .xsession-errors file in memory.

Ok, I have to correct my story.

I created a new account and logged in with the new account. I opened Quanta
and so no increase of memory usage. So I switched to the kwin theme and style
I use with my normal account (which I recently started to use).

Gotcha.... However, the increase of memory usage of Quanta is much higher then
the increase of the .xsession-errors file. So I Assume the kwin-style/theme
(Serenity, from kde-look) is doing something to quanta directly.

With my normal account I switched back to plastik, and all seems fine now.

grtz,

Chris van de Wouw