List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Project Preview Confusion
From:       "Jeffrey Sabarese" <core5fedora () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-02 2:29:26

this is like one of those stories that starts at the beginning of the
lunch-line as someone hurt their knee running, and by the time it gets
to the end someone's leg has fallen off. :)

FOR THE RECORD: this is "old news" and no longer my problem, but i
felt obliged to "put a lid on it" (sorry for the delay).

(also in reply to A.M, our most recent respondent.)
One must use http://yourserver/path_to_your_project to preview server
side scripting, (ie. the Parsed PHP) and NOT
ftp://some.remote.ftp.location -- because at the ftp location, we're
not viewing all of the material, as intended for the end-viewer,
correct?
so, AS A RULE, if i see ftp:// in the browser (or as viewed in Q+
internal), then i know that something is wrong w/ the configuration of
my development environment (the preview end of it is wrong, at least)

Let's assume that I am working "LIVE" on an FTP server ("destructive
editing" is my term -- i don't know if there's an official geek-speak
terminology, but i think we understand the meaning), such that every
"save"-- more specifically, every "saved edit"-- means there's
technically no way of "going back" to the previous state of the file
(the magic "undo" of development software, notwithstanding). My point?
the "upload" happens automatically upon saving. there is no "upload"
step.

then we get to the part about the hypertext vs file transfer protocol
"preview prefix" setting in a "Quanta+ Project" (important to note
that, indeed-- the stuff was done inside of an established project
file, so those parameters were set-- as any good boy would do-- so the
IDE knows what to display). my settings would use the
http://remote-hosted-domainname/path_to_project for the purpose of
"external viewing" of server-side scripted la-di-da on a live,
production server.

still:
Edit > Save > Preview External results in viewing the file as it sits
inside of the folder-- on the FTP, in the browser as ftp:// ...

from the info provided by all of the respondents, the only logical
answer seems to be that something about this setup seems to confuse
the IDE into thinking it needs to use the ftp:// -- prefix in the
browser, instead of what is entered in the Project settings.

best regards, and thanks for the discussion-- it definitely helped!!
-js

(again, i apologize for so much text, but if it helps further Quanta+.
then it's worth it. there is obviously an issue w/ the software. with
all due respect, i don't care for any more feedback about this because
i'm not developing under those conditions, so it's no longer my
problem, however i'm always willing to help. i also welcome inquiry
about what happened for the purpose of debugging)