List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Slow Response in Quanta -- New Info
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-20 13:16:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

 I'm a little late with some answers, but well, I had lot of (mostly
good) things happening here. ;-)

On Monday 04 September 2006 15:12, Robert Tilley wrote:
> My Kubuntu "Dapper Drake" 6.0.6 box is a Dell Dimension 2350, 2.2
> GHz, 512 megs RAM.
>
> The file "~/.kde/share/config/quantarc" was deleted with rm.  Quanta
> was then opened with default parameters.  Preliminary testing is that
> Quanta speeds up after removing the config file "quantarc".

This might be solved in 3.5.5, about to be released in 2 weeks or so.

> Afterwards, Quanta returns to what I assume is normal speed.  (It's
> been so long since Quanta has been truly responsive...)

I'd like to know in which case is not responsive. I know it could happen
with e.g. JavaScript, due to missdetection of the file type, but again,
it is fixed in 3.5.5. There are a few known cases when it might become
less responsive, like very big PHP files with only one <?php ?> area or
somewhat slow switching to a file which has lots of PHP includes. So
unless you are specific and give test files, it's hard to find what is
slow.

> A new file is open and ready for editing.  After opening a tag and
> pressing <spacebar>, a pop-up appears with a list of possible
> attributes.  This is normal.  Upon pressing the escape key, a
> duration of two seconds occurs before the pop-up list disappears.
> This is a serious block to fast typing.

Again, XML (HTML) or mixed (with PHP)? Does it happen with every file?
Does it happen only in certain parts of the file?

> After changing some of the default settings (who uses a tab spacing
> of 8?  2 spaces is what I was taught in typing class...),

8 comes from the katepart default... But what settings did you change?

> Quanta
> begins to slow.  It is gradual at first, but if anything is changed
> from the default (if quantarc is changed at all), it starts to slow.

Strange enough, you might try to do the following:
- clean your quantarc
- start quanta
- if it works fast enough, backup your quantarc
- make changes that slow down quanta
- diff the two quantarc files with diff -u originalquantarc slowquantarc

> I can't work without setting some parameters such as tab spacing,
> insert spaces for tabs, etc.  What could be the problem?

I have no idea, unless I get some extra information. And if you can,
please provide details in the bug reports where I asked you. ;-)

Andras