List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Slowness Problems Again
From:       Cam Ellison <cam () ellisonpsychology ! ca>
Date:       2006-08-24 17:58:22

Eric Laffoon wrote:
<snip>
> I always cringe when people talk about wiping out their .kde directory for a
> specific problem. In my mind it's important to point out that this is
> shooting at a gnat with a shotgun. You may get it, and you may cause a lot of
> other problems. For instance if you use Kontact, Konqueror and other
> applications you can wipe out address books, bookmarks, desktop
> configurations and numerous application settings and data. All of this to get
> to .kde/share/config/quantarc?

Amen to that.

I have an ongoing similar problem.  After Quanta has been running for a
while (say an hour or so, though I often leave it up for days),
switching from one file to another begins to take a long time.  Opening
a new file occurs quickly, but I am still unable to do anything with
that file, or change to another one, for periods of about 30 seconds
(that's an estimate - I haven't timed them).

This seems unrelated to system resources (e.g. at the moment there is
about 1.1 GiB of memory available, and 1.4 GiB of swap), CPU usage, or
the size of the files (it is as likely to occur with a few small files
as with a few large ones - though I have few truly large files).  I work
on both PHP and HTML, with more of the former, and they are usually
relatively small.

The only solution is to kill all the files and restart, at which point
everything is hunky-dory for a while.  Once in starts again, there does
not seem to be a cumulative effect, but I say that not having actually
timed anything.  I do have other programs running: Firefox, Thunderbird,
Openoffice, gpdf, Konsole, gnucash, gkrellm, exim4, dovecot, plus the
usual suspects.

If it helps, I have a Debian testing system, which means Quanta 3.5.2.

> In any case if you just did this I don't think snake oil remedies are your
> route to nirvana. What would be better is to figure out what the problem is,
> and that requires diagnostic information.
> 1) By resurface, do you mean that everything was fine for a time and then it
> came back, or you noticed it proportionally in the same intervals?
> 2) Is there any correlation to the files you are editing and the problem? Does
> this only show up on certain files, and if so can you isolate them?
> 3) Once the problem occurs is it cumulative? Does it get worse with files that
> didn't have the problem in the same session or only happen with those
> specific files?
> 4) Have you verified your system resources? Memory usage and swap file usage
> can cause this problem depending on a number of factors, though it's not a
> common occurrance.
> 5) How large are the files you're editing that are having problems? Are they
> really huge?
> 6) Do you have other programs open at the same time and is there any
> correlation there? For instance do you open and close gimp a lot? This
> correlates to system resources.

I think I covered your questions.

TIA

Cam