List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Is Quanta the right tool for me?
From:       Nico Meijer <lists () familiemeijer ! org>
Date:       2006-07-19 19:36:29

Hi Thibaut,

>   I probably explained it the wrong way, because you seem to believe
> that I'm doing something a bit exotic. Which I'm not.

Yes, thanks. You are making sense to me now.

>   I *have* read books, and talked to professionals who did sites that I
> find good, following strict XHTML/CSS2 standards. The design I'm trying
> to achieve is one very common, for which I found several good sites,
> books and tutorials. What's so strange about that?

Nothing. This would be your path to choose, young grasshopper.

>   All I did was a template index.php. There are PHP calls to the
> database inside, to fill the page with useful content. Each page has an
> URL like index.php?id_page=12.

As long as you typecast $_GET['id_page'], you're pretty much all set.
Your search engine rankings might not be as high as they could be,
though, but that's a whole different story alltogether.

>   My question was about tools, about Quanta itself. Since Quanta has no
> MySQL support, I guess I won't be able to use it. Or, following Andra's
> advice, I should develop them myself, but that's another story...

Andras' advice seems pretty okay to me, although maybe *I* wouldn't do it
that way. But then, I tackled my version of the problem you are trying to
solve some time ago by deciding I needed a CMS. That was back when I was
using HTML-Kit. ;-)

There are lots of tools available and Quanta could be one of them. *I*
would write a script to interface with the database and use TinyMCE, but
that's just me.

At least you got a good long thread out of it! :-)

Be well... Nico