List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Is Quanta the right tool for me?
From:       Nico Meijer <lists () familiemeijer ! org>
Date:       2006-07-19 12:06:01

Hi Thibaut,

>   Now I'm switching to a full PHP/MySQL solution. I will have only a
> five or six HTML templates, and the content of the pages will be in the
> database.

This is easy and Quanta is more than equipped to be your tool of choice.

>   In his new scenario, is Quanta still the good tool for me? The
> problem is, all HTML/PHP code I type must not be saved to a file, but
> to the database. Can Quanta help me with that?

What Andras said. Looks weird to me. You mean that your php-scripts will
be in the database for retrieval and execution? I tried that a few years
back, just for fun, and failed miserably. Way too much hassle. :-)

Where will you put your libraries? require() and include() won't work on
a 'file' in a database. How will you debug your application? php won't
find a line number in a table cell (think about missing an ';'
somewhere...).

Unless you have *really* pressing issues to do this: don't do that. IOW:
what problem are you trying to solve?

Save time, money and hair and get yourself a (few) good php book(s) if you
are coming from a 'plain html' background. I'm currently reading
"Advanced PHP Programming" by Schlossnagle, BTW. I also like Sitepoint
books.

What other tools are you evaluating?

Buhbye... Nico