List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Dreamweaver concurrency compatibility mode?
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-04 19:45:36

On Monday 03 July 2006 11:54 pm, Timothee Groleau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there is a project mode in quanta that is compatible with the built-in,
> simple concurrency mechanism of Dreamweaver?
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the way DW works is that when you check out a file
> from the server, DW will create a .LCK file for it on the server and then
> download the file for local editing. No other person should check out the
> file, and their copy of DW will prevent it until the file is checked back
> in and the LCK file removed. Upon check in, DW uploads the file back to the
> server.
>
> I've just been pulled in a project where everyone the team is using DW with
> this mechanism, and I was hoping I could use Quanta with them. Right now,
> I'm a bit worried considering I could edit a file accidentaly if I don't
> notice a .LCK file exist, which means someone else is already working on
> it.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim.

First let me say the DW method frankly is abysmal...
* It uses the web site for a development repository instead of a test server
* It has no conflict resolution system or ability to collaborate on a file (if
one gets checked out and left in limbo what then?)
* It can't roll back changes
* There is no annotation or blame system
I could go on. Using a versioning system with a separate repository like CVS
or SVN is preferable, but some people are stuck with Dreamweaver and hold
everybody else back...

You can perfectly emulate the behavior using Project Event Actions and
scripts. There is also DW template behavior emulation in the scripts. Because
Andras and I will be announcing KNewStuff support finally on server these can
be shared with the community easily and improved.

As much as I think the DW method is lame I hope to have downloadable scripts
to support it before KDE 4.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org