List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Content Management Programs
From:       Bčr_Kessels <ber () webschuur ! com>
Date:       2006-06-28 10:53:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Op woensdag 28 juni 2006 04:12, schreef Andrew Lowe:
> Can I manipulate images easily on a CMP? How does a CMP
>
> > relate/work through Quanta? Any insight you can give me will be helpful.

First of all, I suggest you use the more common word CMS. S for system. That
will bring you much better results when googling and searching.

Secondly: there are gazillions, if not more, CMSes around. Lots are OSS some
are not. Choosing one is very hard, if you look at your problem from the
wrong angle.
Ask not "can a CMS do this and that", but ask yourself "what do I want, in
detail, and very exact defined". From there you can go and look for the CMS
that fits your needs best. Define things as "programming language I want to
learn/know" too. And do not forget about where you host. Most CMSes need
special programs, and databases.

Some examples of often used CMSes are Drupal, Typo3 and Joomla! If you decide
to write your own CMS (frankly this can be a very good option, if flexibility
is your top ranking feature), look at Ruby on Rails.

Some places to start are:
 Compare CMS features : http://www.cmsmatrix.org/
 List, rankings and free demos of a lot of CMSes: http://opensourcecms.com/

Note that you can find hosts/providers that have the most popular CMSes
installed and working, ready for you to use everywhere too.

Last: I am fulltime Drupal and Ruby on Rails developer and sometimes work on
Joomla! too. I do nearly 90% of my programming work trough/with Quanta. But
if you are not planning to use Quanta for programming a CMS, you will not
need it often. Most CMSes only take content that is inserted on the web.

Bčr

--
[ End user Drupal services and hosting | Sympal.nl ]