List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta FTP access
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-02-07 19:13:58

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 8:16 am, Schimara Marek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know that FTP access is discouraged on security basis, but it's the only
> way for me unless FTP-S (ftp+tls) is supported. However I didn't find any
> information on how to make it work with Quanta.
>
> In the "kinfocenter" the FTP protocol is available, but it doesn't show in
> the Quanta project wizard (in the dropdown menu). The only way to make it
> appear there is to change the KDE network proxy settings from "manual" to
> "direct connection to the internet". But, as I can't access the internet
> directly that doesn't really help...
>
> I have tried to connect to my provider's site using Konqueror
> (ftp://user@site method) and it works fine as long as my proxy is set
> correctly (e.g. manual in KDE control center). I can download whole site
> using an ftp client and work locally, but I would prefer to work directly
> on the server.
>
> My KDE version is 3.3, Quanta 3.3 / Debian with 2.6.11 kernel.
>

> Any help will be greatly appreciated :-)
> Marek

It's difficult to answer this because it's so old. Our current version of
Quanta is 3.5, though you need KDE 3.4 to use it, but that's academic as this
would theoretically be a KDE library problem... in a perfect world, because
in either 3.2 or 3.3 we fixed a lot of internal code that used strings
instead of URLs. If it works in Konqueror then in theory it should work in
Quanta, and I'm sure it does... but I'm not 100% certain it works in the
version you have. I think it should, but we did have a problem with protocols
and remote projects long ago. You should be able to use
ftp://user@domain/path in the file dialogs of Quanta no problem. As for the
rest, I know Debian likes to be insanely conservative, which is great for
servers (I use it on the server) but paradoxically desktop development is
different. You may want to upgrade using an "unstable" branch. Paradoxically
it will still have older releases that have more bugs fixed along with more
functionality than ancient releases. We no longer support two major point
versions back. We just don't have the resources and honestly can't remember
precisely when we did what several years back.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org