List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Autofill title, h1, and filename?
From:       Eyolf Ostrem <eyolf () oestrem ! com>
Date:       2005-12-22 15:05:44

my last post in this thread, on the topic of forums:

Yes, I did look at the gentoo forum. I'm not sure if it's a good comparison,
though. It is, apparently, the biggest phpbb forum that exists and notorious
for all the problems that are usually associated with big forums. Besides,
gentoo being the beast it is, I imagine (but I'm guessing here) that it would
attract (1) many questions, and (2) many
whiz/nerd/hacker-wannabes-but-not-quite-there-yet-so-I'll-compensate-with-an-attitude-instead
kind of users. I'd say the OpenOffice forum is a better comparison.

Of course it is difficult to find relevant answers among millions of posts,
but it's even more difficult to find them among zero posts. I still claim
it's useful. Real life example: I get a strange error message upon updating
the kernel, search the forum (not gentoo - Arch), don't find a direct answer,
but notice that quite a few of the most recent articles which come up in the
search for "kernel26" also mention "ipw2200" -> new lead, which eventually
helped me solve my problem.
Also, it is my experience that forums which would attract a "serious" user
base are generally good at self-discipline, and that advanced users are
usually good at answering questions. But if you expect 1M+ users (gentoo has
100K and OpenOffice 20K...) then I understand your concern...

On Tue 20 December 2005 16:44, Eric Laffoon wrote:

> Worse yet, none
> of these forum packages do a halfway decent job of intelligent searching
> and they are lousy at
> threading... and they are horrendous at the HTML they produce. Do you know
> how many emails I've gotten in the past before our site was fully W3C
> compliant?

That may have to do with Quanta being a web-developer tool, don't you
think... :-) Somehow, one expects that the product web page would reflect the
product itself.

> > I will. I will have to log in to the Windows partition, then... Hm. Ok
> > then - I'll do it. But don't hold it against me.
>
> We will consider it a black ops mission into hostile territory. ;-)

Mission accomplished. I've sent you an email

Eyolf

--
Scenery is here, wish you were beautiful.