List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Templates in Quanta
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-23 20:11:26

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 4:45 am, Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Quanta which would explain this question if it is in fact dumb.
>
> I don't understand the utrility of templates. My notion (and that of
> Dreamweaver for example) is that you create a template and then use
> multiple copies of it, as required. When you change the template,upon
> givcen an appropriate update command, pouf! all the files with the template
> in them are updated.
>
> Can one do this in Quanta, and if so how?
>
> TIA
> Bernard Higonnnet

Dreamweaver templates are a HACK to compensate for the LACK of dynamics in
HTML. It's a limitation of the language and this is why there are
preprocessors like PHP where you can do the same things with
<?php include("myfile.html") ?>
and it is handled. Dreamweaver templates are a functional localized PROPIETARY
"include" file solution. In any other discussion of templates the classic
definition is a "base design from which to build". In this regard Quanta
offers 4 varieties including a linked file with pre and post text to
facilitate includes. Dreamweaver templates can't really even be called
"dynamic" because the lack the ability to manage interactions among other
things.

So can Quanta do the proprietary Dreamweaver templates? Sure. Use the DWT
script included with Quanta or create your own Project Event Actions. Look in
the help file for a detailed description of templates. (Also known as
RTFM) ;-) If you develop more advanced emulation scripts please let us know
so we can offer it for download.

Slated for version 4 is development of an object oriented template engine that
does manage dynamic interactions through a container mediator... and while it
could be used for something as lame as emulating Dreamwaver it will really be
all about leaving it in the dust with true innovation and vastly improved
productivity.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org