List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Ruby On Rails Syntax Highlighting
From:       Martin Honermeyer <maze () strahlungsfrei ! de>
Date:       2005-08-23 9:07:06

Chris Martin wrote:

> Andras Mantia wrote:

>>>Just curious (as I've only briefly looked at it), what ruby features
>>>does Kdevelop provide? Is there more than just syntax highlighting?
>>

>> AFAIK yes, they might even have a debugger. There was a lot of progress
>> lately in KDevelop's Ruby support.
>>

> Yes there is a debugger, I did a quick google (after posting of course)
> and found that in a KDE announcement regarding the progress you mentioned.
>
> I haven't tried the debugger yet, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be of
> much use with Ruby On Rails framework, probably more for straight Ruby
> code. We all know what happens when we assume though, right? ;)
>
> Rails has excellent debugging features built in, when running in
> development mode, so I've just been using that.

Yes, you are right. The debugger is not really needed / usable for Rails
development. To be honest, I am not using any of those features up to
now. :/ So I might as well use Quanta only :-)

Just for completeness: There is a GUI builder for QtRuby/Korundum in
KDevelop, too! See this one:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/06/1158251&tid=156&tid=1

>> And in KDE4 KDevelop and Quanta will actually share the same
>> architecture and plugins. ;-)
>
> I recall reading about that, sounds very cool.
> Sharing is good!

I am really looking forward to a KDevelop / Quanta merge. I'm in hope for
features like advanced Ruby auto-completion and integrated Ruby
documentation. I think this is the environment which is needed for perfect
Web 2.0 development to become a reality ;-) Just dreaming..

Greetz,
Martin