List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta and ftp
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-01 16:21:50

On Monday 01 August 2005 8:52 am, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how Quant works with ftp files?  Is it kinda the same as
> Dreamweaver?

Quanta has never tried to be dreamweaver.
* Quanta can use any KDE KIO protocol in any dialog or project, including FTP,
SFTP, fish (ssh/scp), SMB (Samba), WebDAV and anything else on your
machine... though likely you won't be putting web files on your MP3
player. ;-)
* While we support FTP we discourage it because it sends your site password in
cleartext and this is incredibly easy to sniff, making FTP access only useful
for sites you don't care if hackers are walking through.
* Dreamweaver defaults to using the production server as a central repository.
We consider this insane. Our default is to use CVS (and with the new version
in development SVN) as a side repository providing versioning, blame
annotation, conflict resolution and synchronization. Checkouts and updates
are done with the repository and authorized members review, tag and upload.
This enables easy rollback of the site.

> I have a webserver that has files that I need to edit but it seems I have
> to ftp the files down to my machine before I can edit them with Quanta.
> When I set up my project for Quanta I set it for an ftp server but it
> doesn't seem to be able to grab the file and display it.  When I open the
> file it simply shows a blank new page.

Why should Quanta want to assume you are opening a file someplace other than
where you said you were. We're not Windows and we don't try to obscure
processes from the user.

> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Lovell

There are several solutions.
1) Set up your project on the server. This way when you open the file it will
open it on the server and edit it there.
2) Set up a local project and before you edit the file open your project
profile and drag the file from right to left into the project panel to update
from the server.
3) Use Project Event Actions to manage Dreamweaver emulation... On open, FTP
the file down, overwrite the local file, create a lock file on the server. On
save remove the server lock file. You just need to do a little shell
scripting for this.

Complete emulation of Dreamweaver can be accomplished with scripting in
Quanta.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org