List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Compliling Error - How to correct
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-06 23:05:50

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 1:08 pm, Jerry Smith wrote:
> I just installed Quanta 3.4.1, and at the end of "make install" I got
> these error messages:
>
> ./../lib/compatibility/knewstuff/knewstuff.h:26:6: warning:
> "KDE_IS_VERSION" is not defined
>
> ../../lib/compatibility/knewstuff/knewstuff.h:26:20: missing binary
> operator before token "("
>
> In file included from newstuff.h:23,
>
> from newstuff.cpp:26:
>
> ../../lib/compatibility/knewstuff/knewstuffsecure.h:24:6: warning:
> "KDE_IS_VERSION" is not defined
>
> ../../lib/compatibility/knewstuff/knewstuffsecure.h:24:20: missing
> binary operator before token "("
>
> make[2]: *** [newstuff.lo] Error 1
>
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/jerry/quanta/kdewebdev-3.4.1/quanta/utility'
>
> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jerry/quanta/kdewebdev-3.4.1/quanta'
>
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> First, what do these errors mean and do they need to be corrected, if
> so, how?

I'm not sure precisely what happened. What is your base version of KDE? I
assume this is a release and not an SVN build?

> Also,
> when I open Quanta, the opening screen says it's Quanta 3.4. However,
> when I go to "About Quanta" under "Help," it says it is version is
> 3.3.2. What's going on?
>
> Jerry

It appears that something is wrong here, but I'm not sure why you're picking
it up on a make install. If something got by us on release I'm guessing you
would not be the first/only one reporting. Version testing on install is also
rather unusual, but I'm going to assume you did a make as user before doing
make install as root... otherwise that would likely be your problem. If this
is the case and there is a test in make install then it's possible that your
root environment is not set up right... except there shouldn't be a test here
as it should all be done on configure and make. It is possible to skip the
make step and just make install, but if something goes wrong you could end up
with half an install/upgrade.

Andras is travelling right now but he would be the one to give a final answer,
unless you did something odd. BTW another possible cause of problems here is
manipulating source files as root and later as user. This can make saving
configuration data fail and give all kinds of errors, like what you're
getting. For that you can do as root in your project directory
chown [user].[group] -R *
And then start again from configure, possibly even doing a make clean first.

I hope this helps.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org