List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] My report on Quanta sponsorship (and request for help)
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-22 7:55:58

On Saturday 21 May 2005 07:09, Ewald wrote:
> > > http://kdewebdev.org/donate.php
> >
> > In case anyone is interested...
>
> Everyone on this list (and many more) should be interested and it makes me
> sad that there isn't more response to your call for help :(:(
>
> Ewald
Thanks Ewald. I appreciate your support. Two more people stepped up yesterday
and now I'm getting close to my first goal and in a little better mood. If
anyone is interested, I'm still only on my way to a great mood. ;-)

I want to add some more explanation of my long term plan and my current
financial considerations on the web site soon. My finances are sort of weird
compared to what most people would be familiar with. I own a business
(kittyhooch.com) which was a part time thing that I focused on after my mom
passed away in 2001 and I was too depressed to pursue web development
clients. The paradox is that it has good profit margins and is very popular,
but I'm constrained from realizing the potential of the business until I can
move to a farm and expand. Because of reversals in years past I have no
equity to convert to get a farm. Being self employed I can spend time on the
kdewebdev project as I see fit, but this also makes it more difficult to get
credit and of course there are the costs of doing business. Within a few
years I hope to have practically unlimited funds for pet projects, but right
now an unanticipated reversals could set me back a year easily.

For the long term though my objective with kdewebdev is to get the funds in
order to set up a tax exempt charitable foundation for software development.
Unfortunately this costs thousands of dollars and takes some time and
headaches, but the positive is that it makes it pretty easy to secure large
donations from companies. For companies contributing becomes effectively a
tax shelter to support software they benefit from. The potential here is
huge! I could never have to ask for money on the list again (Yay!) and
instead I could be taking surveys for what additional plugin tools our users
would like to see developed.

This is why it is frustrating for me when I run the risk of being forced to
deal with subsistence issues, or worse, instead of advancing to our goals. A
tiny fraction of our users can make a huge difference. Some people may think
that Quanta is already good enough. I think it has reached 30%-40% of the
potential I would like it to have. I believe Quanta can play a key part in
both helping to keep the web standards based and helping to convert a lot of
people to free software. I'm excited about this and I hope more people will
be able to share the joy that I have in being part of making it happen.
Together we can have some fun. It feels great to make a difference! ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org