List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Help: encoding error
From:       obennett <obennett () hartford ! edu>
Date:       2005-02-26 15:36:30

On Thursday 24 February 2005 03:17, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Thursday 24 February 2005 05:25, Thomas W. Hearne III wrote:
> > I am a NEWBIE in HTML editing.  I am using Quanta post-3.3.2 on KDE
> > 3.3.2. I am attempting to paste plain text from an OpenOffice .txt
> > document into an html file.  I get an error saying "selected encoding
> > cannot encode every unicode character in it."  I am just pasting plain
> > text.  What should encoding be set to as 'default'?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Pasting from OO.org you will probably be past unicode, even if you think
> its plain text. Often you will find non ascii spacing and hyphens in OO.org
> text. Encoding should be set per your site setup and per the server setup.
> If you dont use non latin or accented texts, 8859-1 would be ok. You might
> want to paste into Kate and save as and set the encoding, then reload into
> Quanta.
Just wanted to point out that you can do this straight form quanta as well :-)
And personally I'd say utf-8 is the way to go as far as encodings just because
if you ever need international characters some day it's pretty much the
preferred standard. Even if you do end up just saving in plain old plain text
you don't lose anything.

--
Jesus loves me. You should too.