List:       quagga-users
Subject:    [quagga-users 11768] Re: Static Linux Default Route with a Lower
From:       Alexis Rosen <quagga-users () alexis ! users ! panix ! com>
Date:       2010-09-02 23:49:01

On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Kyle Brandt wrote:
> The syntax to add a route with a higher Metric seems to be:
> route add default gw 192.168.1.1 metric 1000
>
> So it seems that maybe Linux equates the administrative distance and
> metric unlike Cisco?

More like, the concept of administrative distance doesn't exist, just metric. And \
Unix has traditionally called the metric "distance"..,

> from `man route`:
> Metric: The 'distance' to the target (usually counted in hops). It is
> not used by recent kernels, but may be needed by routing daemons.

...like that.

> The "Why not Zebra" is what I tried to say before -- I want a backup
> in case zebra/bgpd fails. The particular case I have now is some sort
> of race condition in upstart (I think) that causes the quagga suite
> not to start at boot.  Chances are not that great, but if both my
> routers power off and both have this issue I won't be able to ssh to
> them remotely.

This won't help you if bgpd (or zebra) crashes. The routes they create go into the \
kernel's route table, and they won't magically vanish just because the routing daemon \
dies.

Problems with upstart are another matter. 10.04 shipped with a disgustingly awful bug \
- it's a total embarrassment to Ubuntu that they released this - which is probably \
what's biting you. See for example \
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upstart/+bug/543506/comments/81 - if that's \
the bug that's biting you, the specific message linked has a workaround. The usual \
giveaway for this bug is that "runlevel" returns "unknown".

Note that just starting up quagga is *not* enough if you have that problem - other \
daemons you need may not be running, your packet filters may not be installed, etc.

/a