List:       quagga-dev
Subject:    [quagga-dev 5558] Re: ospf network command w.r.t unnumberd	interfaces
From:       Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund () transmode ! se>
Date:       2008-07-02 15:56:31

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 10:36 -0400, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 04:13:36PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > > Well, a lot of people who submit patches unfortunately don't supply
> > > diffs to relevant ChangeLog files (which will become the commit
> > > message). Even for a trivial patch, writing the changelog takes a
> > > minute or two, for bigger patches, it takes much longer. This
> > > obviously increases the drag co-efficient for a maintainer to apply a
> > > patch.
> >
> > I was hoping the commit msg in the patches I sent would do as
> > "ChangeLog". I did start adding entries to the ChangeLog file(s) but
> > quickly gave up as reordering patches always produces conflicts in the
> > ChangeLog file.
> >
> >    Jocke, really hoping Quagga will switch to git soon :)
>
> I applied the snmp patch on my linux box just to make sure that
> I can still compile (and I can).  But I don't feel like I'm in a
> position to commit it, since I don't understand the patch at all.
> If there were some verbiage explaining why this repeated patch sequence
> is good:
>
>  #ifdef HAVE_SNMP
>  #ifdef HAVE_NETSNMP
>  #include <net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h>
> -#endif
> +#include <net-snmp/net-snmp-includes.h>
> +#else
>  #include <asn1.h>
>  #include <snmp.h>
>  #include <snmp_impl.h>
> +#endif
>
> that might be helpful.  Failing that, I would tend to wait for somebody
> who is more familiar with the snmp support to commit it, since I
> don't have any understanding.  How can I be sure that this works on
> all platforms and doesn't break backwards compatibility?
>
> Am I missing a comment somewhere that explains all this?

No you are not missing any comment because there isn't one :(

net-snmp/net-snmp-includes.h is a convenience header file for net snmp
which is in the compilers default search path or in a directory that
can be specified at configure time. Some of the other files (asn1.h,
snmp.h and snmp_impl.h) isn't that easy to locate and the old configure
script search for them in two hardcoded places /usr/include and
/usr/local/include. If your net snmp is somewhere else, it would
fail.

Not sure the #else ... #endif is needed but I left them in. Does quagga
work with any other SNMP agent than net snmp? If so it is possible that
this patch breaks the build for them. Probably one need to pass the path
to configure.

 Jocke