List:       python-distutils-sig
Subject:    Re: [Distutils] easy_install of django sdist tarball omits data
From:       zooko <zooko () zooko ! com>
Date:       2007-12-28 18:37:25

  On Dec 23, 2007, at 10:27 PM, Matt Good wrote:

> Sigh.  From what I read of their complaints they could have all been
> fixed with a 2-line diff to remove ez_setup from setup.py.
> If you care about Django setuptools support you should
> follow up to make sure they realize that they can use setuptools
> without requiring an internet connection.

For what it is worth the allmydata.org tahoe project also requires to
be able to install without requiring an internet connection (we call
this "The Desert Island Scenario").

This feature was recently broken in tahoe, and with PJE's help I
recently fixed it [1].  Other people are, of course, welcome to copy
our technique, in which we bundle the setuptools egg itself with our
own package.

By the way, we actually do this with other 3rd-party libraries upon
which we depend, too, which results in a large downloadable (on the
order of 5 MB), and which is currently somewhat controversial on our
mailing list [2].

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/229