List:       python-dev
Subject:    Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 340: Non-looping version (aka PEP 310 redux)
From:       Toby Dickenson <tdickenson () devmail ! geminidataloggers ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-05-06 10:20:31

On Thursday 05 May 2005 16:03, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> The discussion on the meaning of break when nesting a PEP 340 block
> statement inside a for loop has given me some real reasons to prefer PEP
> 310's single pass  semantics for user defined statements

That also solves a problem with resource acquisition block generators that I
hadnt been able to articulate until now. What about resources whose lifetimes
are more complex than a lexical block, where you cant use a block statement?
It seems quite natural for code that want to manage its own resources to call
__enter__ and __exit__ directly. Thats not true of the block generator API.

--
Toby Dickenson