List:       python-cpp-sig
Subject:    [C++-sig]
From:       pbaillargeon () innobec ! com (Pierre)
Date:       2006-11-24 18:20:23

David Abrahams <dave <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Pierre Baillargeon <pbaillargeon <at> innobec.com> writes:
>
> > We're using the framework to translate C++ exception to Python
> > exceptions. The code works in debug builds but crashes in optimized
> > builds. Were using Intel Compiler 9.1 on Windows.
> >
> > Has anyone experienced this?
> >
> > Any possible workaround?
> >
> > The symptoms are:
> >
> > - a crash under _is_exception() in MSVCR80.DLL, called from
> > handle_exception_impl().
>
> Almost certainly a compiler bug unless your own code is corrupting
> memory and/or code.

Indeed, I found by trial and error that reducing the aggressiveness of inlining
fixed the problem. By switching from "inline whatever the compiler wants" to
"inline only function specified as inline" it fixed the problem.

We are also using explicit template instantiation, but I do not know if it is a
factor in triggering the problem.

(We also had problem with compiling 64-bits debug version of boost.python: when
we did the std::string converter stopped working, but we didn't investigate that
part. Especially since we use version 1.32 of boost and had to work quite a bit
to get BJam to compile in 64-bits with that release. But that's another story.)