List:       pykde
Subject:    [PyKDE] QtDBus Support in PyQt
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () riverbankcomputing ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-10-27 17:51:35

After working on this for a little while I've decided that I will not support
QtDBus in PyQt. Reasons are...

- A standard set DBus Python bindings already exist. These are still in active
development but the current maintainer seems to be doing a good job, both in
terms of backwards compatibility and ensuring they are Pythonic.

- QtDBus is more difficult to wrap than the rest of Qt because of it's use of
templates and its own type system. Not impossible to wrap - but there would
be a list of "things to be aware of" and "differences between Qt and PyQt".

- The extra work required would delay the release of PyQt v4.1.

- As QtDBus is new to most people there isn't a large body of C++ experience
and code that could be ported to Python.

I'm happy to reconsider this in the unlikely event that the standard Python
bindings prove inadequate.

Phil