List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [PubLib] Electronic Resources and access question
From:       Martin Arnold <marnold () ORCASLIBRARY ! ORG>
Date:       2015-03-27 16:03:28

Amy,

To answer your questions about non-resident cards.  1) Yes, we provide
non-resident cards.  We are located on an island in an archipelago of small
islands.  There are three islands with public libraries, with reciprocal
privileges.  Mostly, our non-resident cards go to people living on other
islands that are not within our taxing district.  We actually give out very
few.  2) We charge $75 per year for non-resident cards.  3) A non-resident
card gives those users all the privileges availed to our resident patrons,
including access to our databases.  4) The is no differentiation between
our subscription services.  5) We also provide visitor cards for short-term
users(30 days or less), mostly vacationers, for $10 per month.  Visitor
cards are restricted to borrowing 5 items at a time, and have no other
privileges, e.g., databases usage; inter-library loans; Overdrive e-books &
audio books.

Hope this helps,

Martin

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Mullin, Amy <Amy.Mullin@austintexas.gov>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am gathering information about how public libraries manage non-resident
> cardholders who want to use electronic resources. If you could answer these
> questions off-list, I would appreciate it.
>
> 1. Are non-residents able to get library cards?
> 2. Is there a fee for non-resident library cards?
> 3. Are non-residents able to access all, part, or none of your electronic
> resources?
> 4. Is there differentiation between traditional databases (Gale, EBSCO,
> ProQuest) and newer services (OverDrive, 3M, hoopla, Zinio)?
> 5. What other information can you provide about this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
>
> Amy Mullin | Electronic Resources Librarian | Austin Public Library
> 512-974-7462 | amy.mullin@austintexas.gov

Post to publib@oclc.org
To drop or change your list settings
http://listserv.oclc.org/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT