List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [PubLib] Downton Abbey programs
From:       Nora Armstrong <narmstro () CUMBERLAND ! LIB ! NC ! US>
Date:       2013-09-30 12:44:05

Hi, Beverly,

Our library hosted an afternoon "tea" (really, warm beverages and light ref=
reshments) on the day Season 3 began on PBS. The paper gave us a nice write=
-up for it:
'Downton Abbey' teatime
Hours before the Season 3 premiere of =93Downton Abbey,=94 dozens of reside=
nts gathered to celebrate the show.
More than 60 people channeled their inner British personas at the Headquart=
ers Library on Jan. 6 for high tea and a lecture on British society. The ev=
ent attracted plenty of =93Downton=94 fans with many dressing up in period =
clothing and British-style hats, said Jennifer Taft, the library=92s Awaren=
ess Coordinator and an organizer of the event.
The event was a result of library staff members brainstorming how to usher =
in the anticipated return of the British show. Serving tea seemed perfect. =
So did inviting Professor Brad Kadel, who teaches history at Fayetteville S=
tate University, to talk about British high society, the focus of the serie=
s that airs Sundays on WUNC.
=93Oh, yes, we=92re big fans,=94 Taft said.
Taft said the show has become so appealing for several reasons, including t=
he writing as well as the gorgeous scenery and costumes.
=93We have a fascination with the rich,=94 she said. =93Look at how we=92re=
 obsessed with (Prince) Will and (Duchess) Kate.=94
More than anything, though, Taft said, the well-developed characters and th=
eir stories draw in viewers.
=93One of the big things for me is I care about the characters, as cheesy a=
s sounds,=94 Taft said. =93You get invested in it.=94
We encouraged audience members to come dressed as their favorite character,=
 and gave away a 2013 Downton Abbey calendar to the best-dressed participan=
t. It was a lot of fun!If you need/want more information, email me off-list=
, or call. Good luck with your program!

Nora Armstrong
Programs & Services Coordinator
Cumberland County Public Library & Information Center
300 Maiden Lane
Fayetteville, NC 28301-5000
Phone (910) 483-7727, x1340 / Fax (910) 486-6661

CCPL&IC: 2012 National Medal for Museum and Library Services
The library opens windows to the world by encouraging expression, enlighten=
ment, and exploration.