List:       publib
Subject:    Re: [PubLib] loitering etc.
From:       Tiffany Hayes <thayes () CUMBERLAND ! LIB ! NC ! US>
Date:       2012-08-29 15:33:51

We usually classify it as our rule prohibiting "Engaging in disorderly conduct, committing a nuisance, such as repeatedly following or intimidating customers or staff, or otherwise unreasonably disturbing or offending library users or staff."  (Full list of policies page 6 here:  http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/aboutus/pdf/LibraryProcedures/Section%206%20-%20Miscellaneous%20Policies.pdf)  It's a muddy area for sure, but that's to our advantage, really--if they're disturbing staff or customers, we have the right to kick them out.  Now, having said that, in the example you gave, if someone is staring at a staff member or customer, or repeatedly asking out someone on staff, the person in charge would have a chat with the offender.  But if someone is just sitting in a chair mumbling quietly, are they unreasonably disturbing anyone?  I'd say no.  We have a fair number of people who do that, and the only reason we would kick them out for that is if they were muttering obscenities or speaking loudly enough to be disruptive to those around them.  This would be no different from a business person speaking on a cell phone or a mother and child sitting together talking, for example.  We go by what they're saying and how loudly.

Tiffany Hayes, Library Training Coordinator
Cumberland County Public Library & Information Center
910-483-7727 ext. 108
thayes@cumberland.lib.nc.us