List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] Investor's Business Daily
From:       John Richmond <jdr1952 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-31 22:05:14

Occasional small skirmishes are arising at our ref desk.  We subscribe
to Value Line.  Just when we thought (almost) everyone who used it had
died, suddenly we have at least ten people who use it and want it to
stay forever.  Meanwhile, a couple of patrons are lobbying for
Investor's Business Daily, and have no use for Value Line--literally
or figuratively.  One woman said, jokingly, that if we didn't get a
subscription to IBD, she would quit paying her property taxes.
Presumably to punish us.  Ha, ha.  Both Value Line and IBD are
expensive, and these are hard times.  Oh--and one of the Value Line
devotees said the IBD was so much like the Wall Street Journal--which
we get--that we shouldn't bother ordering IBD.

There are no magic answers out there, but...does anyone who gets IBD
and/or Value Line and/or the WSJ and/or Whatever have thoughtful,
well-reasoned arguments for why we ought to subscribe to IBD?  I
mean...even after having looked at it online, a bit...I wonder if IBD
*is* as wondrous as the people who want it say it is?  Is it really
enough like the WSJ that we can say, with conviction, and not as
dysfunctional, people-pleasing librarians, that we are very sorry
BUT--we subscribe to the WSJ, we're watching our budget, and would you
kindly be happy with what we provide, thank you ever so much?

We serve a mostly blue-collar-to-rural population on the edge of
Peoria (itself a city of blue-collar heritage), and we don't seem to
have huge numbers of people with a) money, and b) investments.  So I
want to use resources wisely.

Thank you.

John (I've been off Publib for eons) Richmond, Director
Alpha Park Public Library (No, there is no Beta or Omega PL) District
Bartonville, IL 61607