List:       publib
Subject:    [Publib] RE:  open on Sundays
From:       "Insley, Diane" <Insley_Diane () ci ! san-marcos ! tx ! us>
Date:       2007-11-29 22:25:20

We are a similar-size facility and we are open on Sundays.  I don't
think that this should be a decision based on staff not wanting to work
on Sundays.  I think that you need to look at the visitor count and the
circulation numbers on that day.  And don't just look at the total per
day, but divide by the number of hours you are open that day so you get
an average circulation per hour and average visitor per hour for each
day you are open.  When I do that at my library, Sunday is our busiest
per hour day.  If I look more closely at the Sunday numbers, I do know
that we are much busier on the Sundays during the school year than the
Sundays in the summer.

When considering cost savings, the only time you will realize real cost
savings is if you cut people's hours.  So, if you have 4 people that
work the 4 hours you are open on Sundays, then you would have to cut
your weekly payroll by 16 paid hours.

In my opinion, if you are looking to ask for money to build a newer,
nicer facility - that doesn't seem to be a good time to cut back on
services you are already providing.  If a building isn't open 7 days a
week, are you maximizing the building that you have?

Diane Insley
San Marcos (TX) Public Library

Message: 6