List:       proftpd-users
Subject:    Re: [Proftpd-user] Account setup question
From:       Sven Hoexter <sven () timegate ! de>
Date:       2009-01-10 10:58:48

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:15:31AM +0200, Hans Vallden wrote:

Hi,

> We have a single server with a single "FTP root". We have two groups
> of accounts "users" and "personnel". Each user has a home folder in
> the FTP root and has to be jailed to that folder. Personnel, on the
> other hand, should be able to access the FTP root (default) and all
> folders within BUT the FTP root cannot be the Unix home folder for
> personnel.
>
> Can someone help me and outline how I can setup the personnel accounts?

Maybe:
DefaultRoot ~ users,!personnel

Since the default for DefaultChdir is ~ everyone will start in his
defined home directory but a user who is member of the users group
can't move out of it.
http://www.de.proftpd.org/docs/directives/configuration_full.html#DEFAULTROOT
and
http://www.de.proftpd.org/docs/directives/configuration_full.html#DEFAULTCHDIR

In case you want everyone chrooted in his home directory just skip the users part
from the DefaultRoot directive.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak