List:       privoxy-developers
Subject:    [privoxy-devel] [ ijbswa-Feature Requests-1359374 ] background service?
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2005-11-29 8:10:47

Feature Requests item #1359374, was opened at 2005-11-17 16:10
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by nobody
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=361118&aid=1359374&group_id=11118

not just the latest update.
Category: Win32 integration
Group: future

Initial Comment:
Hello Privoxy Developers,

This is one of those cases where I wish I were using
*nix because this would be trivial, but alas, I'm tied
to Windows until my next computer.

Basically, the request is for an option to install
Privoxy as a service.  This has a couple of benefits
such as not needing to explicitly start the server (I
consider starting upon logon explicitly starting -- as
opposed to starting when the computer turns on).  This
also would allow me to use Privoxy as a non-power user,
while leaving it to be installed by a power user.

I don't do much Windows programming (just Windows using
 ;) ), so I don't know how difficult it is to
implement.  I doinced around in the registry last night
trying to slip one by Windows to make it /think/ that
Privoxy was a service, but to no avail.  The basic
message was that Privoxy couldn't read config.txt.  To
make it start, I had to explicitly start it when I
logged on as a power user.

A thought for those in the know.

Kevin Hunter
hunteke
earlham edu

P.S.  It's possible that I missed something about this
in the requests, FAQ's, or documentation.  If so, I
apologize.

Comment By: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)