List:       prelude-devel
Subject:    Re: [prelude-devel] Re: [Prelude Hybrid IDS] #36: Introduce	a	backward
From:       Till_Dörges <td () pre-secure ! de>
Date:       2004-11-24 18:40:44

Hi,

Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:

> [...]
[...]

> I understand, it would have been more practical for everybody if IDMEF
> was already standardized at the time of the Prelude 0.8 release.
> Importing 0-8 data would require to write a specific migration tool, and
> right now we unfortunately have no time and nobody to work on that

I haven't looked at the different IDMEF-versions in that much detail.

Would you say that it's possible to convert 0.8-style-alerts into a
0.9-style database without loosing too much of information?

I understood your previous answer, that conversion is closer to
"impossible" than it is to "possible".

> specific issue. Contribution would of course be welcome.

I hear you. ;-)
It is an issue for us. If it's annoying enough (and feasible) we might
tackle it.

> company needs, and others services. Just to be clear, everything done by
> the company will of course remain GPL.
>
> The goal is to professionalize the project.
>
> It will permit the current Prelude developers to be paid for their work,
> to hire more developers, and to continue improving the product.

Perfectly legitimate and very understandable. ;-)

Thanks -- Till
--
Dipl.-Inform. Till Dörges                  PRESECURE (R)
Researcher                               Consulting GmbH

			A daily view on Internet Attacks
			https://www.ecsirt.net/sensornet