List:       prelude-devel
Subject:    Re: [prelude-devel] Re: [Prelude Hybrid IDS] #36: Introduce
From:       Yoann Vandoorselaere <yoann () prelude-ids ! org>
Date:       2004-11-24 18:30:38

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 17:02 +0100, Till Dörges wrote:
> Hi Yoann,
>
> thanks for the quick response.

> [...]
>
> >>But just to make sure: Will it be possible to import data from a
> >>0.8-style DB into a 0.9-style DB?
> >

> > Since the IDMEF draft changed critically (remember it is still only a
> > draft, not yet standardized), this is probably not going to be possible.
>
> Hm, that's rather unpleasant news.

I understand, it would have been more practical for everybody if IDMEF
was already standardized at the time of the Prelude 0.8 release.
Importing 0-8 data would require to write a specific migration tool, and
right now we unfortunately have no time and nobody to work on that
specific issue. Contribution would of course be welcome.

> > If this is an absolute requirement for you, then I would suggest that
> > once 0-9 is released, you ask the Prelude project official company
> > (which is in the process of being created by me, and which will hire
> > Prelude and IDMEF developers) to provide support for this issue.
>
> Interesting. Just to be curious, where will this company be situated?

This company will be positioned as the editor of the Prelude software.
It will provide support, development of functionality answering to
company needs, and others services. Just to be clear, everything done by
the company will of course remain GPL.

The goal is to professionalize the project.

It will permit the current Prelude developers to be paid for their work,
to hire more developers, and to continue improving the product.

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere <yoann@prelude-ids.org>