List:       pptpclient-devel
Subject:    Re: [pptp-devel] hangs after "Cannot determine ethernet address for
From:       "Christopher J. Bottaro" <cjbottaro () alumni ! cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2006-11-29 19:15:53

Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
>
>> rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x6 <addr 10.0.1.128>]
>> sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x6 <addr 10.0.1.128>]
>> Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
>
> The server configuration has changed. You/They have either changed the
> addresses allocated to 10.0.1.x, or changed the local LAN addresses from
> 10.0.1.x to something else. I think the latter is more likely. LAN
> configuration was changed and nobody thought to update pptpd configuration
> to match.(*)
>
> BTW, google very quickly finds this documentation on the poptop site,
> containing the string "Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP":
>
> http://poptop.sourceforge.net/dox/qna.html
>
> (*) Another possibility is that the configuration is unchanged, but the
> LAN interface on the server is down. Probably not the case here.
>
> --
> Charlie

Hi Charlie,
If that is the case, would connecting via PPTP in Windows also fail, because
it works fine in Windows.

I'm not sure if "Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP" is the
actual error because when looking at PPTP documentation, a "good" log has
the same message in it.

In my previous message, I said that I hadn't used pptpclient in a month or
so and it all of a sudden stopped worked.  I just remember, I upgraded from
Ubuntu 6.06 to 6.10 in this last month.  Maybe something (a configuration
file?) got messed up in the process?

Thanks for the help,
-- C