List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Connection cache limitations
From:       Wietse Venema <wietse () porcupine ! org>
Date:       2020-05-25 15:02:34

Luca Fornasari:
> "With Postfix versions < 3.4, the Postfix shared connection cache
> cannot be used with TLS, because an open TLS connection can be reused
> only in the process that creates it. For this reason, the Postfix
> smtp(8) client historically always closed the connection after
> completing an attempt to deliver mail over TLS."
> Is that true also in case of relayhost?

All SMTP deliveries.

> Also I cannot find in the doc how many email transactions are
> performed during an SMTP over TLS connection.

Quoting from above: "the Postfix smtp(8) client historically always
closed the connection after completing an attempt to deliver mail
over TLS." That is one attempt per connection.

With Postix 3.4 and later, connection reuse is determined by
smtp_connection_reuse_count_limit (default: 0)
smtp_connection_reuse_time_limit (default: 300s)

Plus, connection reuse needs to be turned on for TLS.

	Wietse