List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Preferred/maintained greylisting options?
From:       " () lbutlr" <kremels () kreme ! com>
Date:       2020-05-24 15:09:05

On 21 May 2020, at 12:49, Charles Sprickman <css@morefoo.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if greylisting might be a good option here.

It's a matter of how much Nanking you are willing to do and how much legitimate mail \
your are willing to lose.

The usual method of greylisting where you tell a server to try again later (4xx \
error) will cost you legitimate mail as many senders, including very large senders, \
will retry from different servers (google, Amazon). Others, in the idiotic belief \
they are being "secure", will never retry. Many of the latter are banks.

Other forms off greylisting, like slowing the connection rate and making the \
transaction take a bit longer than usual are far more effective and less likely to \
cause issues with legitimate senders.

Greylosting also really screws up the "authenticate your email right now. No, right \
this second. We sent you the code, enter it now in the next ten seconds or we delete \
your account and ban your IP" idiocy on the web that, nonetheless, some of us are \
forced to deal with. It's impossible to keep up with the list of domains doing that, \
especially when most of the verification emails originate from other servers.

Postscreen, out-of-the-box, works exceptionally well and blocks more spam than any \
thing else I've used. Sure, I run SpamAssassin as well, but it sees very little use.

Add an RBL or two, and it's kind of like magic.

--
Knowledge equals power... --... Power equals energy... People were
	stupid, sometimes. They thought the Library was a dangerous place