List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Odd /var/log/messages
From:       "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg () tristatelogic ! com>
Date:       2008-07-31 22:23:27

In message <20080730215957.19E7C1F3EA1@spike.porcupine.org>, you wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette:
>>
>> I was just perusing the /var/log/messages file on a system I have
>> that's currently running Postfix 2.5.1 and I saw the following messages:
>>
>> Jul 29 19:47:42 roomy postfix/smtpd[72875]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for
>"ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
>
>That's a libc error message. Postfix has no control over this.
>
>> Jul 30 04:26:11 roomy kernel: pid 68220 (local), uid 125: exited on signal 1
>1
>
>That's not good.
>
>> 2)  Where should I be looking for the coredump file for "local"?
>
>If the core file exists at all, it would be in the queue directory.
>You may have to tweak kernel settings to allow coredumps by processes
>that change their effective UID.

I'll see if I can get that done ASAP.

If this wasn't just a one-time fluke (e.g. stray gamma rays hitting my
DDR memory) I'll get back to you.

(Actually, given the past track record of reliability of your stuff,
which has been essentially perfect in my experience, I really am
thinking that a stray gamma ray is the mosr likely explanation here.
Either that or gremlins. :-)