List:       postfix-users
Subject:    Re: Time of day size restrictions
From:       Brian Evans - Postfix List <grknight () scent-team ! com>
Date:       2008-07-31 21:04:36

Jeffrey Shawn Klotz wrote:
> Does anyone know a way to set the message size restriction based on
> time of day?
>
> In the AM I have a large volume of outgoing traffic.  If users send
> large messages it exceeds the bandwith of the circuit.
> The AM messages are time sensitive so max outgoing performance is
> critical.
>
> In the PM there is very light volume so large messages are not a
> problem. The PM messages are not time sensitive so slower performance
> isn't an issue.
>
> This is a dedicated list server so if I can restrict the size of
> incoming mail based on time of day it will also limit the size of the
> outgoing.
>
> Thanks...

You need a policy daemon that supports ACLs by time.
Make sure to use a 450 response code so a mailer will try again later.

Note: this will NOT work on items you are sending out that do not come
in via smtpd (aka sendmail command).

A quick check finds www.apolicy.org but I'm sure there are others. (No
experience with this one, so YMMV.)

Ralf also has a suggestion.