List:       poptop-server
Subject:    Re: [Poptop-server] DNS resolution order
From:       James Cameron <james.cameron () hp ! com>
Date:       2003-09-19 2:12:04

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 12:11:19AM +1000, Chris Jensen wrote:
> That's exactly what I want to know. The public DNS is configured in the
> LAN link, while the internal is configured in the VPN link, and it seems
> that windows is trying the DNS servers by going through each links
> setting, trying the LAN setting first. I can't find a way to get windows
> to try the VPN specific DNS first.

Sounds like the PPTP server is doing everything it can.  Let us know
if it isn't the case.  Presumably other PPTP servers would do the same.
If you find one that does not, then perhaps a close examination of the
PPP level exchanges will find an explanation.

I wonder if providing two IP addresses using the ms-dns option might
change the behaviour?

I agree that catching the misdirected DNS queries made through the
tunnel would be a potential solution.  That's ingenious.

Otherwise, it's way outside my experience.  Perhaps there is an
equivalent method on the client to the resolv.conf file on a UNIX.
Check with the documentation and support services for the client
operating system.

--
James Cameron                         http://quozl.netrek.org/
HP Open Source, Volunteer             http://opensource.hp.com/